5 Stations Puck-handling 1/2 Ice
Return to Main Drill page
Skill: Puck handling skill sets.
Purpose: Develop puck control while dribbling, wide wing span, long wing span, and skating backwards w/ the puck.
Directions: Skaters are in a line above the blue line wide (out of the way of shots that will soon come). The net and goalie are above the blue before the center line against tall glass.
1) At the direction of the leader the puck handler (PH) skates towards the goal dribbling the puck with quick touches. Roll the wrists to control the puck. Use quick hands not quick skates.
2) The Puck handler (PH) then skates back towards the blue line controlling the puck as wide as possible on forehand and backhand.
3) The Puck handler (PH) then skates back towards the goal line controlling the puck as far forward and behind as possible on forehand and backhand.
4) The Puck handler (PH) then skates backwards with the puck towards the blue line controlling the puck with slight later movement (look for handling the puck with forehand and backhand cups. The skater continues over the blue line and transitions to forward around the face-off dot.
4) The Puck handler (PH) then skates with the puck towards the goalie, passes to the coach near the blue line, receives a pass back (Give-n-Go), then takes a quick shot on goal. The skater then returns to the back of the line.
Variations: Designate the type of shot to be taken.